Top and Side Handler Accidents
Top and side handlers are used to load and offload cargo to and from vessels. The people that operate these machines and the spotters that help them must be tuned into everything and everyone in the work zone as hitting a person with a load, or hitting other cargo or structure could be deadly.
Operators must be prepared for equipment malfunctions, inclement weather, and vehicles and pedestrians moving into their field of work. Yet, despite how safe an operator may be, accidents still occur. In fact, marine cargo handling is one of the more dangerous maritime jobs, and workers suffer frequent injuries such as –
- Back injuries including muscle strains and pulled tendons
- Head injuries from falls
- Traumatic brain injuries from blunt force trauma
- Crush injuries from falling cargo and equipment accidents
- Pleural disease from toxic chemical and material exposure
- Amputations from machinery, cables, and wires
- Spinal cord injuries from falls, cargo, and equipment
- Broken bones
- Loss of vision from debris
- Loss of hearing from loud equipment or explosions
- Severe burns from fires and explosions
While some accidents may be unavoidable, many are caused by negligence. When this is the case, the injured worker may be eligible for compensation to cover
Current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Re-training or re-assignment expenses
If a worker is killed in a job-related accident, surviving family may be eligible for compensation for wrongful death. Employers are held to a high duty of care, and when an injury is caused by employer negligence, crew member negligence, or even third-party negligence, the person injured may seek relief from the responsible parties.
If you were injured or a family killed in a top or side handler accident, speak to us as soon as possible. We have decades of experience in fighting for those employed in the commercial maritime industries, and we stand ready to fight for you. Fill out the form for more information about what we can do for you.