Port of Guntersville
The Port of Guntersville is an inland city port located on Lake Guntersville on the end of the Tennessee River on Lake Guntersville, about 43 miles from Decatur, Alabama and about 73 miles southwest of Chattanooga, Tennessee. It provides a diverse economic environment that includes shipping, manufacturing, agriculture, and tourism. The terminal specializes in cargo and freight, pallets and computers. It has an annual sales volume of $175,000.
According to history, the first European explorer to visit the area was Hernando DeSoto back in 1540. The town and port were named for John Gunter, who was the first to operate a ferry in 1820. The area was originally called Gunter’s Landing and was sparsely populated. The land originally belonged to Native Americans who yielded the land to the United States in 1835. The town was almost destroyed by fire during the Civil War.
Later, the location began to grow as an important river town in the area. The arrival of a railroad in 1892 cemented the port as a significant hub, providing a method of transporting goods further inland. Today it has access to U.S. Highway 431 and railroads, and there are two airports within 40 miles.
The port is part of the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway network that provides access to 23 states and the Gulf of Mexico. It is available for a wide range of cargo and storage operations.
- American Commercial Terminals
A part of CSX, the company owns and operates the Caustic Dock. It handles toxic chemicals and similar products. It has two railroad tracks that connect to CSX transportation. The wharf is equipped with a special pipeline that connects to a large storage tank.
- Steel Dock
CSX also operates the Steel Dock. The dock can handle iron and steel, iron ore and all types of waste and scrap metal. It is used mainly for the shipment of pig iron and shredded metal. It is also connected to the railway system and includes a large storage warehouse along with 2 acres of open storage.
- Grain Transfer Wharf
The grain transfer wharf is owned by The Great Combine, Inc. and includes all facilities necessary to handle grain transfer including a transfer station, four concrete silos and five steel tanks with truck access. It has a total capacity of 110,000 bushels of grain.
In addition, there various other features including:
- Bulk Handling Dock and Terminal
- Lube Plant Dock
- North Wharves
- South Wharves
- Marine Dock
- Shipping Dock
- Feed and Poultry Mill Docks
The docks include areas for shipping and receiving of a large variety of products. The water ranges from 7 feet to 20 feet in depth. Cargill, a large grain and food company, owns and operates part of the wharves and utilizes the docks on a daily basis. There is also a marine dock that includes services for recreational and fishing boats.
If you were injured while working at the Port of Guntersville, contact us by filling out the form with details of the accident, and we will be happy to assist you.